BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah
The AW-3 is meant to be a versatile envelope filter pedal with all kinds of goodies inside. Its real claim to fame is the humanizer effect that is supposed to mimic vowel sounds. This all seems like a lot of fun, but one you start exploring this pedal, you will soon find yourself disappointed. The confusing interface, poor effect quality, and overall frustrating nature of this pedal do not bode well for its use with horns.
External Control: EXP
This pedal is confusing. It is vaguely labeled and awkwardly laid out. It is not worth the trouble.
This is a potentially versatile pedal. All of its settings have a lot of promise and seem to be able to give you a nice range of sonic options. The reality is however, that most, if not all of those effects do not work very well and are not useful.
Clarity of Effect: 0.5/5
Most of the effects this pedal produces speak poorly on all wind instruments. The effects are quiet, bodiless, and some seem simply not to work.
Live application: 1/5
Very few of this pedal’s settings are actually usable. Its difficult interface also make it undesirable in a live setting.
- Nominal Input Level: -20 dBu
- Input Impedance: 1 M ohms
- Nominal Output Level: -20 dBu
- Output Impedance: 1 k ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance: 10 k ohms or greater
- Residual Noise Level: -92 dBu (IHF-A, Typ.)
- Connectors: GUITAR IN Jack, BASS IN Jack, OUTPUT Jack, EXP/CTL Jack, AC Adaptor Jack (DC 9 V)
- Power Supply: DC 9 V: Dry Battery 9 V type (6F22/9 V), AC Adaptor
- Current Draw: 50 mA (DC 9 V)
SIZE AND WEIGHT ( INCL. BATTERY )
Width: 73 mm or 2-7/8 inches Depth: 129 mm or 5-1/8 inches
Height: 59 mm or 2-3/8 inches Weight: 420 g or 0 lbs. 15 oz.
AC Adaptor (PSA-Series), Expression Pedal (Roland EV-5), Footswitch (FS-5U)
Dry Battery 9 V type (6F22/9 V)
Product info from the Boss website