Wampler Tape Echo
Wampler Tape Echo
Wampler has created quite a popular pedal with this offering. Many people out there search for the organic, real tape sound in their delays. Some pedals employ actual tape reels in them to create to most honest possible sound. For those not wanting the responsibility of that kind of fragile technology on their board, you will be a happy camper with the Wampler. Its main feature is a really nice tape wobble generator that is quite easily and precisely manipulated.
External Control: None
|Interface||Versatility||Tonal Reproduction||Live Application||Total Score|
This pedal is simple and the tap tempo brings its ease of use to a higher level. The faux tape reel controls are intuitive and easy to manipulate on the fly.
Although this delay has a specialized function in the faux tape reel, compared to other delays, its range of delay settings and rhythmic delay options are lacking.
Tonal Reproduction: 2.5/5
The tone reproduction is fairly good and can be slightly manipulated. The tape reel effects sound nice, but this pedal is not nearly as capable of pristine, high quality tone reproduction as other pedals.
Live application: 2.5/5
This pedal’s strength is in its simplicity. The tape reel effect has some nice tape wobble sounds for a more effected tone. The tap tempo gives you options for use on stage in different settings, but the lack of presets and lack of delay options can be a limiting factor in this pedal’s usefulness.
- Handbuilt in the U.S.A.
- High grade film capacitors and resistors picked for their superior sound and response
- Completely true bypass
- Battery connection and 9v power jack (barrel plug like Boss) Please note: Battery not provided. Mains power recommended.
- Power draw: 40mA
- 6 controls – echo level, repeats, shade, “movement and sway” and delay time
- Does not just add a chorus effect to simulate tape wobble, this reacts to your playing perfectly
- Does NOT mess with your basic guitar tone like so many other delay pedals
- Analog warmth/tape echo tones
- About 800ms of delay time available (very slight signal deterioration is apparent after about 600m/s).
- 3.5” x 4.5” x 1.5″ (88.9mm x 114.3mm x 38.1mm) – height excludes knobs and switches
Product info from the Wampler website