The Q-Tron, which might be the most popular envelope filter among horn players today, is an undeniable classic. For years, many have extolled the virtues of the Q-tron. It has been popular among the funk minded for decades, but it might not be all it is cracked up to be when used with horns. We would urge the user to be vigilant in carefully comparing this pedal to other envelope filters. Its tonal realities and overall sound may alienate some more experienced pedal users. That being said, if its sonic personality is to your liking, then this pedal can be a workhorse.
External Control: None
|Interface||Versatility||Clarity of Effect||Live Application||Total Score|
The pedal is simple enough to use. It has all of the basic auto-wah settings, as well as a sweep (up or down) switch that can give you added variability. One major downside is that the pedal requires a 24v plug rather than the standard 9v. This can present challenges when wiring up a board.
There are three filter types as well as a mixed option that can give you many different sounds. This pedal does give the user plenty of auto wah options, but nothing crazy or out of the box.
Clarity of Effect: 3/5
The effects speak fairly clearly, but have an undeniably ducky quality to them that is almost impossible to get away from. This can be limiting if you want a strong representation of your tone inside the effect.
Live application: 3/5
The pedal has no presets, but finding one good setting to use consistently should not prove difficult. Its utility may be hindered by its tonal realities. The pedal adds a slight edgy buzzing to your tone, which may be attractive to some but does not make the HornFX team happy.
- True bypass
- Selectable low pass, band pass and high pass filters
- Resonant peak control to adjust the filter's Q from subtle to dramatic
- Hi and lo frequency response modes
- Adjustable gain knob and boost switch
- Sweep direction switch for up or down filter sweeps
- Tough and compact die-cast chassis
- 24DC-100 power supply included
- Dimensions in inches: 4.75 (w) x 5.75 (l) x 2.5 (h)
- Dimensions in mm: 146 (w) x 121 (l) x 64 (h)
- Product onf from the EHX website