The fourth installment in EHX’s line of keyboard boxes, this machine recreates the sounds of the famous Mellotron. It works in the same manner as its brothers but produces those ethereal, foreboding sounds that the Mellotron is known for.
External Control: none
|Interface||Versatility||Clarity of Effect||Live Application||Total Score|
A well laid out pedal.The Mel9 is easy to understand, and the controls work truly organically. The only issue could be quickly and accurately changing the voice you are using.
Sadly, you are limited by the amount of notes you can play at once, because this pedal is not well suited for runs or lines. If you are searching for that specific Mellotron sound to use with a harmonizer to lay down harmonic pads, then this is a wonderful tool.
Clarity of Effect: 5/5
The sounds of this pedal speak immensely clearly and are incredibly close to the originally technology that it tries to mimic.
Live application: 1/5
This will only serve you well in a live situation in which you need to sound like a Mellotron.
- Pays homage to nine of the coolest Mellotron® sounds: Orchestra, Cello, Strings, Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Brass, Low Choir and High Choir
- Works on guitar without modifications, special pickups or MIDI implementation and tracks bends, slides, even whammy dive bombs!
- Also works with bass guitar down to the open A string as well as keyboards within the limits of its polyphony (5 notes) and range (A1 to A5)
- Includes independent Effect and Dry volume controls so you can create the perfect mix at the Effects output
- Dry Output jack outputs your input signal at unity gain
- Attack control sets the volume swell speed. As it’s turned clockwise the notes fade in more gradually
- Sustain control adjusts the release time after a sound is stopped. As it’s turned clockwise, the fade out time increase
- Comes with a standard EHX 9.6DC200mA PSU
- Dimensions in inches: 4.0 (w) x 4.75 (l) x 2.25 (h)
- Dimensions in mm: 102 (w) x 121 (l) x 89 (h)
Product info from the EHX website